Health is not merely the absence of any symptoms or sicknesses, but when the body is able to function at its ultimate potential. We live in a health care system and society that is overly dependent on treatment of symptoms. Too often, doctor appointments end in a drug prescription, cortisone injections, or surgery without questioning the underlying cause for the symptom.
Chiropractors understand that our nerve system is the underlying network that allows the brain to control and coordinate all cells, organs, glands, and bodily functions.
A key component of Chiropractic care is the prevention and correction of subluxations. A subluxation is a misalignment of the spine that can put stress/pressure/tension on the nerve system, and in turn cause issues with the brain’s ability to control and coordinate all bodily functions. While many people will visit a Chiropractor for treatment of lower back pain, neck pain or headaches, it is important to realize that pain is only a small part of the nerve system. The sensory portion of the nerve system (pain, numbness, tingling, burning, etc.) is currently estimated to be about 10%. The other 90% controls the bodily functions (digestion, elimination, balance, movement, heart-rate and blood pressure, etc.). The nerves that are experiencing pain may be affected in tandem with nerves that control the digestive system, immune system, or sleeping patterns and the list goes on.
Chiropractic is built on the fundamental principle that the human body is born to be healthy. In most circumstances, when the nerve system is functioning optically, the body can heal itself, regulate itself, and adapt to the environment. With this understanding, Chiropractor’s check the nerve system for any abnormal stress/pressure/tensions, and correct them. While drugs and surgeries do have their place, they should not be a substitute for health conscious habits, including good nutrition, positive mental thoughts and focus, regular exercise, sleep and rest and importantly regular Chiropractic care to ensure the nerve system is free of interference.
Finally, remember it is never too late. The nerve system is adaptive, this is called neuroplasticity. If a right hand dominant person lost use of that arm, in a relatively short time the person would learn to use the left hand. It is never too late for Chiropractic care no matter where you are on the continuum between poor and good health.