If you are one of the many Australians that suffers with neck pain, you will be pleased to know that our Chiropractic approach may offer the solution you have been searching for.
One out of ten of us will have neck pain at some time in our life. In most cases it is not due to a serious disease or neck problem and often the exact cause for the pain is not clear. Most are probably due to minor sprains or bad posture. This comes as no surprise when we consider the activities of modern life such as sitting in front of a computer, watching prolonged periods of television and an increasing incidence of poor posture – particularly forward head posture.
Problems within the neck can also cause headache, shoulder pain, TMJ or jaw pain, pins and needles in the hands, carpal tunnel syndrome and upper back pain.
We encourage you to contact us for a thorough assessment with one of our Chiropractors if you regularly experience any of the following,:
- Waking up with a sore neck
- Pain or stiffness when reversing the car and turning your head
- Clicking when you turn your head
- Neck muscles that ache constantly
- A sensation of pins and needles in your fingers or hands
With more moving parts than any other machine, it’s not surprising your body occasionally cries out in pain or refuses to do what you tell it to do. After all, there are hundreds of different muscles and joints that can go wrong. Fortunately, Chiropractic may be an effective way to treat many of the problems you can experience.
Causes of neck pain
One survey done has found that, of adults aged 45-75 years, about 1 in 4 women and about 1 in 5 men had current neck pain.
By far the most common cause of neck pain relates to the effects of poor posture. In order to understand the impact of poor posture, we must first consider why spinal alignment within the neck is so important.
Coupled with the stresses and demands of modern life, it is no surprise why neck pain is so common. Your head weighs about 5kgs and in normal alignment it is very carefully balanced on top of your seven neck bones (vertebrae).
- Your ligaments work very hard to maintain this postion and easily withstand short periods of variation.
- Problems arise when we assume awkward positions for prolonged periods, the fine balance is disturbed and the nerves, muscles, joints, ligaments and discs of your neck become strained and irritated.
- The tension in your neck and shoulder muscles doubles for every 2-3 cms that your head is forward! Over time, the neck strain and pressure accumulates to a point where it becomes chronic and even the smallest changes in posture cause significant effects.
- Sporting Injuries.
Because neck pain could be an indicator of various illnesses, the Chiropractor will ask all the special questions such as general health, past medical history, weight loss, bladder and bowel control, quality of appetite and sleep and medication usage.
Treatment for Neck Pain
Before any action is taken, the Chiropractor will assess your neck pain, diagnose the problem and help you understand what’s wrong. They will work with you to develop an effective treatment plan that takes into account your lifestyle, leisure activities and general health. Thankfully, Chiropractic offers a very effective treatment for neck pain. Typically, your Chiropractor will recommend the following:
- postural advice and how to avoid further strain
- a series of spinal adjustments to restore proper movement to the neck vertebrae
- neck exercises to encourage improved movement and strength
- heat/ice therapy to help manage your neck pain
- recommend a contoured supporting pillow
For further information, or to consult with one of our Chiropractors you can call our Midland practice on (08) 9274 1471, or visit Key Chiropractic Midland’s state of the art Chiropractic clinic at 6 Victoria Street, Midland.